If you have oily skin, these specially formulated French skincare products can help you achieve a more balanced complexion.
The French know that you must use products meant for your skin type. They visit a French pharmacy early on and get diagnosed with their proper skin type so they know what products to buy for their skin.
What is Oily Skin?
Oily skin types involve people whose facial glands produce too much sebum, which can lead to clogged pores and greasy facial skin. In extreme cases, oily skin results in severe acne and blemishes on the face. Untreated, it can produce scarring. Many people have oily skin but it must be cared for accordingly.
You can tell if you have oily skin by using a blotting paper on your face. If the paper shows oil visibly around different parts of the face, you may have oily skin.
If the blotting paper only has oil on the T-zone (your forehead, nose, and sides of the nose) but not the outer edges, then you actually have combination skin.
Oily Skincare Tips
Ironically, oily skin is often a symptom of dehydration. Oily skin types should aim to keep their face hydrated using applicable gels and drinking at least 1 liter of water per day.
The American Dermatology Association recommends oily skin types should wash their face every morning, evening, and immediately after exercising.
Face oils are all the rage right now but oily skin types should use them sparingly. I use face oil in the morning to massage my face but I immediately wash it off, within 30 minutes or so. Face oils can clog up your pores if you aren’t careful, causing breakouts.
Instead, opt for products labeled “oil free” and “noncomedogenic” which signals that they won’t clog your pores.
Carry around blotting papers with you to remove oil from your skin throughout the day. Don’t rub them on your face, simply pat them around different areas, being careful not to transfer oil from one part of your face to the other.
Shop Oily Skincare Lines by Pharmacy Brands
There are several oily skincare lines by top French pharmacy brands you should look for when shopping for skincare in France or online.
Oily Skincare Routine in France
Here is a simple skincare routine to follow if you have oily skin in France:
1. Start with a gentle cleanser that won’t strip your skin of its natural oils. Try the La Roche Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Face Wash for Oily Skin, which contains ingredients to help control oil production.
2. Follow with a toner to help remove any remaining dirt and oil from your skin. The La Roche-Posay Effaclar Astringent Face Toner contains micro-exfoliating LHA to absorb excess oil and shrink pores. It doesn’t need to be rinsed.
3. Use a serum for oily skin types like the Avène Cleanance Concentrate Blemish Control Serum to keep your sebum production low and prevent a greasy face throughout the day.
4. Use a light moisturizer to hydrate your skin without making it feel oily. The La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat Mattifying Moisturizer contains zinc to help control oil production and reduce shine.
5. Finish with a light dusting of powder to help absorb any excess facial oil and minimize shine. Try the Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder, which contains absorbent micro-particles to control shine all day long.
By following this simple oily skin skincare routine, you can help control oil production and achieve a more balanced complexion. These French skincare products have been formulated to deal with oily skin, so you can feel confident and comfortable in your own skin.
Try These Oily Skincare Products from France
There are several best-selling French oily skin type products you can try out to care for your oily skin on a daily basis. These are great if you have acne-prone skin that is susceptible to breakouts and blemishes.
- Micellar Water: Bioderma Sébium H2O Micellar Water
- Face Wash: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser for Oily Skin
- Toner: Payot Pâte Grise Eau Purifiante
- Serum: Clarins Double Serum Light
- Sunscreen: La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Sunscreen SPF 60, Oil-Free
- Face Cream: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat Oil-Free Mattifying Moisturizer for Face
- Oily Skin Pore Refiner Cream: Bioderma Sébium Pore Refiner Cream
- Face Mask: Caudalie Instant Detox Clay Mask
- Face Oil: Clarins Lotus Face Treatment Oil
Which French skincare brand is best for oily skin?
La Roche-Posay is the French skincare brand with the widest selection of products made for those with an oily skin type. The mattifying Toleriane and Effaclar lines are designed for oily skin types.
What skincare ingredient is best for oily skin?
Many skincare ingredients can help control oil production and improve the appearance of oily skin. Some of the most effective ingredients include salicylic acid, clay, zinc, and micro-particles.
What is the best skincare routine for oily skin?
The best French skincare routine for oily skin includes a gentle cleanser, toner, light moisturizer, and powder. This routine can help control oil production and achieve a more balanced complexion.
Does oily face ever go away?
Yes, an oily face can become less oily over time due to a variety of factors such as age, lifestyle changes, and the use of appropriate skincare products. Oil production in the skin is regulated by sebaceous glands, which are influenced by hormones (particularly androgens). That’s why many people experience oilier skin during puberty. As we age, oil production tends to slow down, which means that oily skin can become less of an issue over time.
Please remember that having an oily skin type is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, people with oily skin often show signs of aging slower than those with dry skin, as the natural oils help keep the skin supple and wrinkle-free!
As you can see, many French skincare products have been crafted to deal with oily skin, so you can feel beautiful and at ease in your own skin!