Dry skin, also known as xerosis, is a condition in which the skin lacks the appropriate amount of moisture or natural oils. This can make the skin feel tight, rough, itchy, or flaky. If you have dry skin, here are the best French skincare solutions you should know about.
What is Dry Skin?
Dry skin is a common skin type that has a tendency to become dehydrated. It has trouble retaining moisture and must be cared for properly. There are a few signs that can indicate that you have dry skin on your face.
- Tightness or roughness: If your skin feels tight, rough, or uncomfortable after washing your face or applying certain skincare products, it may be a sign of dryness.
- Flakiness or scaling: If you notice dry, flaky patches on your face, especially around the nose, eyebrows, or forehead, it could be a sign of dry skin.
- Dullness: If your skin appears dull, lackluster, or has a rough texture, it could be a sign of dryness.
- Fine lines and wrinkles: Dry skin can be more prone to fine lines and wrinkles, as the lack of moisture can make the skin appear aged or tired.
- Itchiness: If your skin feels itchy or irritated, especially after washing or using certain skincare products, it could be a sign of dryness.
Dry Skincare Tips
Dry skin can be uncomfortable and even painful if not properly cared for. Here are some tips for caring for dry skin:
Use a gentle cleanser: Avoid using harsh soaps and detergents that can strip your skin of its natural oils. Look for mild, fragrance-free cleansers that won’t dry out your skin.
Avoid hot water: Hot water can be drying to the skin, so try to use lukewarm water when you shower or bathe.
Moisturize regularly: Apply moisturizer to your skin after bathing or showering, while your skin is still damp. Look for moisturizers that contain ingredients like glycerin, urea, or hyaluronic acid, which help to attract and retain moisture in the skin.
Humidify your environment: If you live in a dry climate, or if you spend a lot of time in air-conditioned or heated environments, consider using a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
Protect your skin from the sun: Exposure to the sun can dry out your skin, so make sure to wear protective clothing and use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher when you’re outside.
Drink plenty of water: Drinking enough water is essential for keeping your skin hydrated from the inside out.
Avoid harsh exfoliants: Scrubbing your skin with harsh exfoliants can cause further dryness and irritation. Instead, use a gentle exfoliating product once a week or less.
Remember, it’s important to be gentle with your skin and to avoid anything that could further dry it out.
Shop Dry Skincare Lines by Pharmacy Brands
There are several French pharmacy skincare lines you can shop from to find skincare products formulated for dry skin. Try these skincare lines if you have dry skin in France:
- La Roche-Posay Lipikar line is meant for those with extra dry skin, who sometimes suffer from eczema
- Avène TriXéra Nutrition line was created for people with dry and ultra-dry skin.
- La Roche-Posay Cicaplast line is meant for those with damaged, dry skin and will bolster the skin barrier
- The Bioderma Atoderm and Hydrabio lines are great for irritated, dry skin types.
Dry Skincare Routine in France
Start by washing your face. You want to cleanse the face and rid it of dirt and residue, without drying the facial skin out.
The La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Face Cleanser was formulated for this exact purpose!
Towel dry the face. Then apply a hydrating serum such as the Caudalie Vinosource-Hydra S.O.S. Thirst-Quenching Serum, an all-natural French solution with hyaluronic acid.
Once the serum has dried, apply a face moisturizer for extra dry skin. The Bioderma Hydrabio Cream is the perfect everyday face cream for dry skin.
Try These Dry Skin Products from France
There are many skincare products made for dry skin in France. These are some of the best products to try if you have dry, dehydrated skin.
- Micellar Water: Bioderma Hydrabio H2O Micellar Water
- Face Wash: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser
- Toner: Clarins Hydrating Toner Lotion with Aloe Vera
- Serum: Avène Hydrance Boost Concentrated Hydrating Serum
- Mature Skin Serum: Vichy Mineral 89 Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum
- Sunscreen: La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Milk Sunscreen
- Face Cream: Avène Revitalizing Nourishing Cream
- Moisturizer: Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich Face Cream Moisturizer for Dry and Extra-Dry Skin
- Face Mask: Clarins SOS Hydra Refreshing Hydration Mask
- Face Oil: Clarins Blue Orchid Radiance & Hydrating Natural Face Treatment Oil
- Body Wash: Bioderma Atoderm Cleansing Oil
- Body Oil: Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Dry Oil
- Body Lotion: La Roche-Posay Lipikar Triple Repair Moisturizing Cream