The appeal of French pharmacy brands, with their chic packaging and promises of gentle, effective skincare is known throughout the world. Among the elite ranks of these brands, Avène has been garnering quite the buzz.
Famous for its thermal spring water-based products, Avène claims to provide solutions tailored for the most sensitive skin. But is it all just smoke and mirrors, or does this brand genuinely stand up to the hype?
I’ve used Avène products extensively and today I’m to tell all. In this Avène review, I’ll get into an extensive examination of Avène’s famous French skincare products, scrutinize the ingredients, weigh the benefits, and share how they perform on different skin types. Let’s find out whether Avène deserves a spot in your skincare routine!
Is Avène a Good Brand?
Avène is definitely considered a good brand, particularly among people with sensitive skin. Their products are formulated with Avène Thermal Spring Water, which is renowned for its soothing, softening properties. This unique ingredient has been used for centuries to treat various skin conditions, and it forms the base of many of Avène’s products.
One of the key strengths of Avène is its commitment to gentle, hypoallergenic formulations. Many dermatologists recommend Avène products for people with sensitive or reactive skin types. The brand also caters to various skin concerns, such as dryness, redness, and acne, by offering specialized lines of products.
However, like any brand, Avène may not be suitable for everyone. Some people find certain products lacking in terms of specific results or might react to some ingredients.
Avène’s reputation as a quality French pharmacy brand, backed by scientific research and a focus on gentle care, makes it a reputable choice for many discerning women. Its alignment with dermatological practices and investment in clinical studies contribute to its perception as a trustworthy and effective brand.
History of the Avène Brand
Avène’s history is tied to the small village of Avène in the south of France, where the Avène Thermal Spring Waters are sourced. Here’s a detailed look into the brand’s history:
Discovery of the Thermal Spring Waters
The therapeutic properties of the Avène Thermal Spring Waters were discovered in 1736. A horse belonging to the Marquis de Rocozels, suffering from stubborn skin irritation, was allowed to roam the Avène countryside. It came across the thermal spring and began to bathe in it, which led to a remarkable healing of its skin condition. This sparked interest in the potential of the water.
Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, many dermatologists studied the unique properties of Avène’s water, and its therapeutic use began to spread. In 1871, the waters were even shipped to the United States to help treat burn victims of the Great Chicago Fire.
Recognizing the potential for medical use, the first Avène Hydrotherapy Centre was established in 1743. The Centre expanded in 1874 and became a place for treating various skin conditions, including atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, and chronic itching.
Launch of Avène by Pierre Fabre
In 1975, Pierre Fabre, a pharmacist from the South of France, took over the Avène Hydrotherapy Centre. He had a vision of a skincare line based on the therapeutic properties of Avène Thermal Spring Waters. The brand’s first product, the Eau Thermale Spring Water spray, was launched in 1990, quickly becoming a staple for sensitive skin.
The brand continued to grow and innovate throughout the 1990s and 2000s, introducing several product lines to treat diverse skin types and common conditions. Avène’s commitment to research and scientific validation of its products led to a loyal customer base and global recognition.
Today, the Avène brand is sold in more than 100 countries around the world, while the Hydrotherapy Center continues to treat thousands of patients annually. The brand continues to support dermatological research and maintain close relationships with healthcare professionals.
Avène has taken significant steps towards sustainability, preserving the unique environment of the Avène valley.
Avène’s history is rich and unique, starting with a serendipitous discovery and culminating in a globally respected skincare brand. The focus on scientific research, innovation, quality, and sustainability has made Avène synonymous with sensitive skin care, and the brand continues to be a leader in its field.
Avène Product Lines
Avène has several product lines devised for treating specific skin types, goals, and concerns.
- Tolérance: for hypersensitive skin, this line soothes and calms skin sensitivity
- Cleanance: this line is for oily and acne-prone skin. It works to purify and remove excess oil without drying out the skin’s surface
- Hydrance: this product line is best for normal to dry and dehydrated skin
- RetrinAL: intensive anti-aging care with pharmaceutical-strength ingredients to help you achieve a radiant, youthful complexion and reduce deep lines and wrinkles on the face.
- PhysioLift: a line created to fight deep-set wrinkles and furrows and encourage skin firming
- Antirougeurs: this skincare line by Avène was developed for redness-prone skin. It works to diminish red spots and restore the skin’s natural balance and pigmentation.
- A-Oxitive: this product line was developed to boost the skin’s natural defenses against toxins, free radicals, and pollution due to environmental stressors
- TriXera: this product line is best for dry to very dry skin types whose skin struggles to hold moisture
- Cold Cream: this line was originally developed for people who live in cold climates. It can be used to treat localized dryness on different areas of the body and shield against cold, dry air.
- Cicalfate: this damage-control skincare line was developed to treat damaged skin barriers, restore the skin’s natural microbiome and repair any spots that have been irritated.
- XeraCalm: this skincare line contains products to treat eczema and atopic dermatitis. It contains lipid-replenishing ingredients that target the source of the itching and can offer immediate relief from redness and irritation.
Best Avène Products
Here’s a list of some of the best Avène products, renowned for their quality and effectiveness:
Avène Thermal Spring Water Spray: A cult-favorite face mist known for its soothing, calming effects on irritated or sensitive skin. This spray is sold every 30 seconds in France!
Avène Hydrance Boost Concentrated Hydrating Serum: A hydrating serum that provides lasting moisture and revitalizes dehydrated skin.
Avène Cicalfate Restorative Skin Cream: A multipurpose cream that aids in the healing of cuts, burns, and other skin irritations.
Avène Cleanance Cleansing Gel: Ideal for oily or acne-prone skin, this cleansing gel removes impurities without over-drying.
Avène Tolérance Control Skin Recovery Cream: A lightweight moisturizer known for its minimal ingredients list, suitable for hypersensitive skin.
Avène XeraCalm A.D Lipid-Replenishing Cream: Designed for extremely dry or eczema-prone skin, this cream nourishes and soothes.
Avène Antirougeurs Calm Soothing Mask: A soothing mask that reduces redness and provides immediate comfort for irritated skin.
Avène RetrinAL 0.1 Intensive Cream: This anti-aging cream with retinaldehyde helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Avène Solaire UV Mineral Multi-Defense Sunscreen: A sunscreen that provides broad-spectrum protection without irritating sensitive skin.
Avène Soothing Eye Contour Cream: A gentle eye cream that reduces puffiness and dark circles, providing hydration to the delicate eye area.
These products reflect Avène’s dedication to gentle and effective skincare, utilizing the unique properties of their thermal spring water and innovative formulations.
Where to Buy Avène in the USA
In the USA, Avène products are accessible through various channels to cater to different preferences and needs:
- Official Avène Website: Purchasing directly from Avène’s official US website ensures that you are getting genuine products, and it often features the complete range.
- Pharmacies and Drugstores: CVS and Walgreens pharmacies and drugstores across the country carry Avène products, including some well-known chains.
- Online Retailers: Websites like Ulta, SkinStore, FeelUnique, Dermstore, and other specialized online beauty retailers often stock Avène products. Be sure to buy from reputable sellers on Amazon to avoid counterfeit items.
- Dermatology Clinics: As a brand aligned with dermatological practices, Avène products can also be found in various dermatology clinics and medical skin care facilities.
What to Know Before Buying Avène
Before purchasing Avène products, consider consulting a dermatologist. Identifying your specific skin type and concerns will help you choose the most appropriate Avène products, whether you’re addressing sensitivity, dryness, acne, or aging.
If you have any allergies or sensitivities, review the ingredients list of each product carefully. Avène is known for its ultra-gentle formulations safe for hypersensitive skin, but it’s always wise to be aware of any specific ingredients that may not suit your skin.
Avène Animal Testing
Avène, like many European brands, complies with the European Union’s regulations that ban the testing of cosmetic products and ingredients on animals. This ban has been in effect in the EU since 2013.
Avène’s parent company, Pierre Fabre, has also expressed a commitment to developing products without animal testing. They utilize alternative methods, such as in vitro testing and computer modeling, to assess the safety and efficacy of their products.
Is Avène Cheaper in France?
Yes, Avène products may indeed be found at a lower price in France, where the brand originates, compared to other countries, including the USA. This has always been my experience.
Avène products may indeed be found at a lower price in France, where the brand originates, compared to other countries, including the USA. The cost of shipping, distributing, and marketing Avène products outside of France can lead to higher prices in international markets.
These factors might change over time, and the price difference may not always be substantial. If you live outside of France and want to purchase Avène products during a visit, compare prices both locally and in France to see if the potential savings are significant.
If you’re in France, it might be worth visiting a local pharmacy to explore the range and potentially enjoy the lower prices!